650B Trans Am Project

Bookmark and Share
A few months ago, Joe Kelly sent me an email asking whether or not the TransAm could be set up with 650b wheels. I wasn't entirely sure - I'd heard people talk about it on our mtbr forum and the numbers looked like they should fit - but I hadn't seen it done in person.
So I asked Joe to document it for us if he followed through and he did just that. Awesome work Joe, and thanks for the report:
The Build: Saw this Transition Trans Am frame and I just loved it! I’d been looking for a steel frame to build up for a while & when I came across this one I had to have it. I love the clean line, the simple gusseting and the sliding drop outs with the option to go SS or geared. Thought about building it up w/ a 650b front & 26 rear, the numbers looked real good & the geometry with my Fox 120 would work out to be close to factory spec but I real wanted to build a true 650b. I thought the larger wheel size would be a great match for my local trails, fast tight single track with a fair amount of technical stuff, lots of very steep transitions w/ roots and rocks, perfect for the 650b’s to roll over. I also figured the 650b’s would pay big dividends in the rhythm sections and big G-outs.

Like they were made for it**! Just as I thought, the Trans Am’s spacious seat & chain stays fit these beefy Nevegal’s with plenty of room for mud.

Decided I’d run it single speed for a while and the Transition chain tugs worked great!

My Fox 120 fit great & the cockpit fits me perfect! Room to move around & still have good stand over, even with the 3/4 of an inch more wheel than stock 26ers. The 650b’s offset the shorter 120 fork to bring the Bottom bracket back up to about spec height.

On the trail this thing feels great! It’s fast and tough! But not too rough, the steel frame & bigger wheels make for a nice ride quality so I can maintain control at full throttle. Get out of the saddle a little, have a light grip and she’ll float right through all but the nastiest rock gardens. With the steeper head angle of the 120 fork (instead of the spec’ed 140) the ride feels stable, not twitch at all. Even on the steeps & roughest drops, although I’m not exactly sending it on the North shore. One of the best & biggest surprises is how well this bike hooks up! I mean this thing can rail, and it climbs like a goat. If it wasn’t for the single cog & my lack of fitness I could ride it all day!
Overall this was a fun build. A great frame, some sweet parts, all fit together at a very reasonable price... and it rails!

{ 0 comments... Views All / Send Comment! }

Post a Comment